90 per cent of Kiwi adults have some form of tooth decay. As a result, a lot of people are looking for ways to improve dental health. Full-arch, fixed implant-retained bridges, commonly known as ‘all on four dental implants’, have proven how technology can alleviate dental distress in simple, yet effective ways.
What is ‘All On Four’?
In simple words, all on four refers to implants being surgically implanted in the jaw, which support full mouth teeth prosthesis. It’s called all on four as it uses four implants, one in each quadrant of the mouth. This is a surgical prosthodontic technique and is primarily for a patient with extensively damaged teeth and compromised gums. These dental implants support 10-14 teeth on each prosthesis, on the upper or lower jaw. It is a durable and attractive replacement to dentures.
These all on four denture implants are made from materials such as acrylic on titanium, monolithic zirconia as well as porcelain placed on cobalt-chromium, all of which provide a strong base.
In the past, each individual tooth would have an implant to hold it in place. What these implants do is eliminate the need for multiple bridges, instead retaining the imitation teeth with one implant in each of the four quadrants of the mouth, which work as secure anchors. The bridge is fixed onto these permanent implants.
The All-on-4® treatment concept is offered by Dental Artistry, using Nobel Biocare implants.
The Benefits of Implant-retained Bridges
There are several benefits to patients:
- Natural look and feel: No one wants their teeth to look fake. All on four implants ensure that the prosthesis created for you is customised to your mouth. They are also very attractive and look natural—not bulky or visibly fake.
- Easy to eat and chew with: All on four dental implants have been proven to increase the ability and effectiveness of eating by as much as 95 per cent of natural teeth. In comparison to regular dentures, this allows people to eat almost anything they want without fear of their teeth becoming dislodged.
- Back to a regular diet: These implants allow you to get back to a normal diet and food habits without the worry of damage to your teeth. You no longer have to miss out on your favourite food.
- Quicker treatment process: Replacing each tooth with an implant is a long and tedious process. Implants such as these save time and get you back to normal faster.
- More attractive: A firmly fixed denture can improve your appearance dramatically. You will smile without hesitation and have a clearly defined jawline. This serves as a boost to your self-confidence, which many of our patients comment on.
- Better comfort: These implants don’t move around or cause wear and tear on the gums like regular false teeth do. You never have to worry about them slipping off. The care for them is as you would for regular teeth, not changing your lifestyle in any way other than for the better.
- Longer lifespan of the jaw: Regular dentures do not stop the atrophy or the deterioration of the jaw bone. With implants however, the jaws are reinforced, and their health maintained. The implants help prevent jawbones from shrinking. This prevents sagging of the face, which is common with false teeth.
How Will All-On-Four Help?
Enjoy life again! Not only does the all-on-four mean you no longer need to worry about loose dentures, it also means that you can eat properly. Implant retained dentures actually increase the effectiveness of eating from 50% (with just a denture) to 95% of natural teeth. Better still, in the long term the implants actually prevent jawbone shrinkage so stop your face sinking with age.
If this is a bit too much of an investment, you do have the less expensive option of fewer implants and a denture which snaps on and off – get in touch with us to discuss the two different options. The price for an implant-retained over-denture ranges from $6000!
Contact us to book a consultation where Dr Worthington will discuss your needs and outline the steps and costs involved in an all on four.
“One week on – what a revelation! After four years of not eating like any normal person should, and losing 13kg in weight, it’s just… it’s just great. Everyone in this situation should have this done. It really is fantastic. P.S My partner Joy reckons I’ve got my smile back.”